Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Exercise- It's really just another word for play."

It's ironic how as "mature" & "experienced" adults, we complicate things so easily. Every now and then, we should do ourselves a favor, and watch a cartoon. In my household, we really have no problem with this. If we (my hubby included) find something we want to watch on t.v. 90% of the time, it's a cartoon. The simplistic view points on life that cartoon's teach are refreshing.



An example of what I'm talking about is something I heard on Calliou. A cartoon about "a boy who's four, each day he grows some more, he loves to go explore, CALLLIOUU!" (In case you're not up to date on your Cartoon culture.) Anyway, the dad on the show was teaching the boy's how they could grow big and strong. One of the things that he said really caught my attention, "You have to exercise- which is really just another word for playing." HOW BRILLIANT! How much more exercise would we get if we thought of it as "play". I think most of us think of it as work.

I'm a member at at gym. I have to admit, most of the time I think of it more as a duty, or a hassle, not as play. If you're like me, as a kid your parents would have to drag you inside at night, because you just couldn't get enough playtime in. Maybe if we changed the way we view exercise, we'd do it more often. We'd grab a friend and say "Hey, come play with me." We'd get excited when we got our house chores done, so we could go "play". We'd jump out of bed in the morning, because we couldn't wait to go and "play". (Well, maybe that last one is pushing it.)

A lot of times in life, it's our perception that affects our outcome. Hopefully this will inspire a new perception for you today!  Hey, it's a nice day, let's go outside and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment